Forum for discussion of airsoft and airsoft events in Alabama, the Region, and the World

HomeHome  Front PageFront Page  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Retail store

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Retail store   Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:37 am

Do u guys think the bham, mccalla area could support an Airsoft Atlanta size retail store? We dont have one around that i know of and i think we need one. Im looking to make money for myself and wonder if this would be a good area for a large airsoft store. Could u get more people involved if there was a place to see the equipment and gear first hand? I like the replicas and want to promote the sport and I belive this would b a good way to do that in this area. What do all of u think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Maybe, It just might work now that airsoft is more well known and plus it would be nice to have a local dealer.

Just a heads up. About 5 years ago someone tried to do the same thing. BUT! five years ago airsoft in Alabama was hardly known.
If you make a store it would be cool if you put it around the Hoover area. A lot of people go out that way especially on weekends. My grandmother lives out in McCalla and while it is growing, I just don't see a whole lot of small business's lasting there. (Just an opinion)
Plus if you made a store I can already guarantee you a lot of people in the airsoft game around here would be interested in getting a job.
Back to top Go down
gun_GRIFFIN
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:21 pm

It could work but I think the 2 biggest factors on it surviving would be its location and your initial advertising. I cringe whenever a store opens in the middle of nowhere and nobody tells me about it until it shuts down. Plus a good location is like good advertising in itself. I personally think it would be better to have place where customers could actually hold the guns or see them in real life before they bought them. It might even get a lot more people interested in the sport which will help keep the store alive.
Back to top Go down
mateba
Patriarch
Patriarch

Alabama Airsoft Donor Alabama Airsoft Donor:

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Just FYI, the more you make a hobby a source of income the less it becomes a hobby. Don't mix business with pleasure when it come to airsoft. In the end, profit will be more important than playing which would be a big turn off for me. But, that being said I think it could work but you are talking about competing against a retailer that has $100s of thousands of merchandise shipped in from over seas. Thats a pretty big bearer to entry, not to mention thats not the only retailer in the region let alone the internet which destroys customer loyalty due their CS, which is normally good, and absurdly aggressive pricing. I can usually buy parts retail over seas for less than American retailers can buy wholesale. Warranties are your only hope in the US for customer loyalty which will only bail you out, thats it. Give me a call if you are serious, I might be able to point you in a few directions.

ElectricBlu
Patriarch
Patriarch

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:28 pm

The only way for me to see this work i would think is to have a store right on a field or just purely have an internet store. There isnt much profit in these guns so overhead i believe would be a killer.
Back to top Go down
mateba
Patriarch
Patriarch

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:25 pm

I would consider a Wholesale with G&P mid to high end AEGs and maybe JAG of WGC for a little of everything else. You would need to buy BBs over seas as well if you wanted to repackage a store-brand which would offer a huge markup. G&P requires $5000 minimum wholesale purchases but nobody in the US has a decent selection. They have some awesome prices overseas that rival E1 and all the econo mid-range AEGS but they are made with aluminum bodies with quality internals (6mm MB G&Ps <$200, some ~$150). Still, like Blu said, it would be tough and the internet is much cheaper on overhead but way more competitive. Retail stores are great for impulsive purchasers. Rent a building big enough to sub-let apartments upstairs. I'd consider renting from you. Smile

dark swat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Do it! (but brang it closer in the north alabama area, just for me please!) lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/

PostSubject: Much to consider   Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:43 am

I would love to be able to setup shop but i didnt think the profit margin would be so small. Overhead would probably kill my store, especialy if i had to rent space for it. I need more research. Thanks for the input guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:05 pm

It sounds like a great idea, the location that u have in mind is good but here are a few more. Hoover, Trussville, Huntsvill, Anniston/Oxford are just a few of the places where i know that airsoft is big or where there is alot of business and/ or people. I live in the Trussville area and i can tell you from experience that Trussville is a big and bustling environment. Please do make one, i would enjoy going into an airsoft store here and just wonder around aimlessly for the perfect gun. If u do, i would love a job at this store. I can help u with anything.

Signed
Sir Steven of Trussville
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 pm

from experience, the profit margin is not huge. Most of the stuff comes out of CA so shipping isn't cheap which eats up a good portion, and the markup on guns is not that much. We are actually hoping to open up a store front in the future around Huntsville, and possibly Birmingham or Auburn.
Back to top Go down
Zheller
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm

If you also did tune ups, custom builds, and maintenance it would get you a little more income. I may be wrong here but it seems to me that AGI's customs are priced a little high, but for those who are not comfortable cracking open guns and what not they'll pay for it. There are a few guys around here that fix guns, so you could ask around about that. Also gear would be were the profit is, but like everyone else has mentioned selling the guns out of store has a really small profit margin, and I'm not sure on buying bulk?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 am

So R&R is seriously considering this idea, but we would like to get a better idea of what we hav eto work with first. If you would like to see a store open up in Alabama, please send me a PM and iclude approximately how much you think you purchase each year, as well as whether or not you would be willing to drive to get to a store if it were an hour away from wherever you may live.
Thanks for the input, if we get enough we may look into getting a store front in the near future!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:21 pm

As I was the original owner/founder of Airsoft Revolution, and i'm now back into selling high quality BBs and i've also been thinking about opening up a new North Alabama based airsoft shop.

As it was when I owned AR, it would be done not to make a profit, but rather provide a source for more people to get into the sport. I ran AR for 4 years and never turned any sort of real profit...it was all about the fun, as airsoft should be.

I've already been scouting potential locations and have been working to secure sources of high quality products....I never did sell junk, and that will never change. I already believe to have the best quality per cost BBs on the market and that reignited the desire to provide a source for even more products.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retail store   Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 pm

no doubt...6mmjihad's BBs make me feel like im shooting through a TBB with some extra FPS...I will never use anything else now.

R&R Airsoft have the best customer service I've ever experienced from any retailer, period. They go the extra mile for you, a store front for them would return repeat customers based on their CS alone. They also carry high quality items that can normally only be found through ASGI or AirsoftAtlanta.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Al the stuff   Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 am

My main reason for wanting to open a store was so i could play with all the stuff. If r&r can make it happen that would be great. I just hope its closer to me than airsoft atlanta. If i hit the lotto ill open a store just to play with it all, not for profit:)
Back to top Go down

Retail store

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Alabama Airsoft Forum ::  :: -